Content and Communications Manager
- Location: London / UK (work from home)
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Role: Initial Fixed Term contract (12 months – with the possibility of an extension)
- Salary: £50,000+
The Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD) is an international sustainable finance initiative that was launched in June 2021. Following in the footsteps of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the TNFD’s mission is to develop and deliver a risk management and disclosure framework for organisations to report and act on evolving nature-related risks, with the ultimate aim of supporting a shift in global financial flows away from nature-negative outcomes and toward nature-positive outcomes.
The Taskforce consists of 34 individual Taskforce Members representing financial institutions, corporates and market service providers with US$19.4trn in assets. The TNFD Co-Chairs, David Craig and Elizabeth Mrema, lead the Taskforce.
The Taskforce is supported by:
- The TNFD Forum, a consultative grouping of over 550 institutional supporters;
- The TNFD knowledge partners, a group of 16 leading scientific organisations and standard setting bodies;
- TNFD Consultation Groups, informal groups convened in select countries and regions to expand outreach and engagement;
- The TNFD Stewardship Council, which represents the founders and funders of the TNFD; and
- The TNFD Secretariat, which manages and coordinates the Taskforce, the TNFD Forum and the TNFD knowledge partners.
Funding for the TNFD is provided by governments, the UN, and philanthropic foundations, including the governments of Australia, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United Kingdom; the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The TNFD also benefits from pro-bono support offered by Taskforce member organisations, TNFD Forum organisations and governments.
About the role
We are now seeking a Content and Communications Manager to work across the programme and lead on content, developing and delivering an impactful and engaging set of communications across multiple channels. Working closely with the Communications Lead you will develop, manage and implement a content plan, amplifying and enhancing our work as we head towards the delivery of the framework in September 2023. Critical will be your ability to understand highly complex technical areas and produce content for a range of different audiences. Planning for phase 2 of the work of the TNFD is currently underway, and there may be the opportunity for this to develop into a longer-term role within the Secretariat.
In this dynamic role you will work in close collaboration with all parts of the TNFD, as well as our external communications agencies and Taskforce Members. You will bring innovative and creative ideas to inform and educate our wide range stakeholders, build alignment within the sector and strengthen the TNFD’s brand and reputation. Your day-to-day focus on developing and managing content, translating technical work and updates different audiences and through a range of different channels, including digital strategy, executive communications and the press. You will also provide support on a range of wider communications activities, and have a role to play in helping to shape the overall strategic communications agenda.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent project manager and have experience working across multiple priorities and organisations, quickly able to adapt to different outcomes and objectives. Excellent written ability is critical and you must be confident in drafting content – from OpEd’s to blogs and social media. You will be able to express your thoughts, ideas and recommendations in a clear and compelling way and be confident in working closely with senior individuals.
Ideally you will have experience, gained either in-house or within an agency, in strategic and corporate communications, with a focus on producing content. You will be proactive and detail-driven with an excellent understanding of media, finance and the political landscape. In addition we would expect you to have networks and relationships with key reporters and editors within the sector, as well as potential advocates across financial services, policy, business and civil society.
You will work as part of a small team and will be supported by consultants and communications partners, including support from Global Canopy.
The work of the TNFD is iterating and evolving all the time, so experience of dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty is key, as well as the ability to adapt and evolve the plan, taking into account new requirements and stakeholder expectations.
This is a truly unique opportunity to join a new global sustainable finance initiative attracting significant media and political attention. You will be part of an established globally distributed team, much like a start-up. By joining the team and supporting this work you will play a part of the global effort to tackle the climate and nature crisis.
- Content planning across all digital channels
- Proactively managing social media channels
- Leading weekly social media catch up meetings to set content agenda across all social channels
- Leading on ongoing development of the TNFD website and framework and microsite updates
- Knowledge management
- keeping up to date and on top of key content being published by other actors in the nature-related finance and business space.
- ensuring content is developed taking broader context into account and sharing content with TNFD Knowledge Manager, adding to the TNFD Knowledge Bank.
- Drafting, editing and developing OpEd’s, providing wider thought / opinion pieces, as required
- Drafting Blog posts and other pieces for digital
- Managing the TNFD newsletter, writing and commissioning multimedia content and liaising with TNFD Taskforce members and other external contributors to make this a key communications tool.
- Drafting responses to written interviews for TNFD spokespeople (as requested by TNFD Comms Lead)
- Producing briefing notes for TNFD spokespeople (as requested by TNFD Comms Lead)
- Support the TNFD Comms Lead in developing TNFD key messages, ensuring these are regularly reviewed and updated
- Reviewing press releases for the TNFD Comms Lead
- Supporting the delivery of wider strategic communications programme and working flexibly to deliver a range of communications tasks
- Supporting external events and wider TNFD comms activities
- Networking to develop strong relationships with journalists, media partners, other comms leads within the TNFD network, knowledge partners and donors.
- Working with the Communications Lead to manage the TNFD speaker requests , liaising with external event organisers and evaluating the activity to ensure we maximise the ROI for this programme.
- Support the Communications Lead on development of a TNFD events programme, including high level meetings led by multilateral organisations and groups.
- Creating a communications page for the website that will host the TNFD brand assets, a speaker request form and other communications tools as required.
This is an exciting and fast paced role, and you must be willing to work flexibly and take on additional duties, as required.
Skills and experience
To flourish in this demanding role, you will have experience in developing content as well as working across a wider communications team. You must demonstrate strong written ability and be able to produce content around a highly technical area for a range of different channels. You must demonstrate ability to quickly build strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are critical, as is an ability to work productively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Highly developed written ability – able to write for a range of audiences and channels
- Creative flair and ability to translate technical content into innovative and engaging content
- Experienced in project management and able to successfully coordinate and run projects and events within a set budget with an outstanding focus on quality and project follow-through
- Experience of delivering in a past paced environment to tight deadlines
- A strong, independent work ethic
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills with partner organisations, senior-level officials and influencers
- A thorough understanding of social media best practice across LinkedIn and Twitter in particular.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail, with a proven capacity to translate information and big ideas into actionable plans.
- Experience of working with a related sector (such as financial services / environmental consultancy / policy)
- Self-motivated and brings a strong positivity/energy to the team.
For more information and to apply, please contact: [email protected]
Closing date: 18 November 2022